Current Services Update
Mt. Lebanon Public Library's new hours and expanded services.
- Monday-Thursday, 10am-2pm and 4-8pm (building closed to the public between 2-4 pm for cleaning, refresh, and restock)
- Friday, 10am-2pm
- Saturday, 1-5pm
- Sunday hours will resume at a later date.
Both the upper main entrance off the parking lot and lower entrance off Castle Shannon Blvd. will be open during the hours listed above. Use either door to return materials and pickup holds.
If you are coming in for an appointment to browse or use the computer from either entrance, you must check in at the kiosk upstairs near the circulation desk.
- Browsing by appointment
- Computer use by appointment
- Free Printing (wireless printing is available for contact-free pickup)
- Self-serve copy services and scanning (exact change only)
- Library card registrations, renewals, and account services
- Virtual programing
- Holds pickup during listed hours without an appointment
- Contact-free pickup available at patron’s request
- Magazines and newspapers
- Toys, games, and puzzles
- Meeting rooms and study areas
Browsing/ Computer Appointments
The library will be permitting patrons to use the building by appointment for computer use and/ or browsing the collection. Appointments will help us to limit the number of patrons in the building at any one time, for everyone’s safety. Appointments will be limited to 45 minutes in length, and scheduled to start on the hour during listed hours. While there may be some walk-up appointments available, we encourage you to make an appointment so you are sure to get in when you arrive. Upon entering the Library, please check in at the kiosk by the circulation desk. You can make an appointment online using this form, or by calling our main library phone number during listed hours.
For your safety when visiting
- Patrons must wear a face mask that covers the nose and mouth at all times in the building per municipal mandate.
- Please adhere to all social distancing regulations and pay attention to all posted signage—our COVID signage has been created with a bright orange background so you can’t miss it!
- Hand sanitizer stations are available throughout the building.
- We have rearranged our floor plans to prevent overcrowding. Please do not move furniture or barriers.
- When checking out materials, please observe the six-foot markers we have installed on the floors by the checkout desk while waiting your turn, or use the self-check stations, which are located across from the circulation desk and conveniently arranged for social distancing.
- If you or a member of your household have a fever, cough, shortness of breath, feel sick, or have visited a COVID-19 hotspot within the past 14 days, please wait to visit the library. We offer a variety of digital materials, resources and programming, including eBooks, music, movies, and much more that you can access virtually 24/7.
Our outdoor book drop on Castle Shannon Blvd. will be available 24/7 starting Monday, September 28. Return bins will be located in the upper and lower vestibules during listed hours as well. As a precaution, returned materials are quarantined for at least four days (96 hours per county agreement) before staff can handle and check them in. Please don’t be concerned if your returned materials remain on your account for several days!
You can continue to place holds online or by calling the reference desk (412-531-1912).
When your holds arrive, you will be notified by phone or email. You can come in during listed hours for pick up at the new downstairs holds desk. No appointment needed for holds pickup.
We will continue contact-free pickup or those who would like to continue maintaining distance.
- You will need to set up an appointment by calling 412-531-1912.
- The available timeslots will change to four-hour time blocks that correspond with listed hours. Items will be removed from the table 15 minutes before the end of the time block.
- The holds table will remain outside at the upstairs entrance as long as weather permits; it will move to inside the upper entrance in case of inclement weather.
- Your items will be placed in bags labeled with your last name and first initial to maintain your privacy. Items will be checked out and ready – just grab your bag and go!
- Please wear a mask and practice social distancing when picking up items.
To help provide Internet access to as many residents as possible, we have expanded the outdoor range of our 24/ 7 free Wi-Fi.
Reference staff will answer phones, perform online reference, and help patrons in the building during listed hours.
The children’s library staff will be available at the children’s desk. They will continue with virtual children’s and teen programming, reference, booklists, teacher support, book bundles, and more.
Friends of the Library/Book Cellar
At this point, the Book Cellar Used Book Store remains closed and is not currently accepting donations. Please keep an eye out for pop-up outdoor Friends of the Library book sales and other fun Book Cellar events throughout the fall and winter months.
Because library staff must use the library’s meeting and study rooms for work space (to help us maintain social distance) and to store books during their quarantine time, we are currently unable to host any meetings or programs. Study Carrels are available for single-patron use during listed hours.
Mt. Lebanon Library will continue to host free virtual classes, workshops, storytimes, and more. Check our online calendar to see what is coming up.
We also continue to offer free eResources to stream, and patrons can download eAudioBooks, eBooks, magazines, TV shows, movies, music, and online learning services on your computer or mobile device. Go to www.mtlebanonlibrary and click the Virtual Programs tab.
Our Commitment to Safety
- The Library’s quarantine plan for materials exceeds the time that the CDC indicates that the COVID-19 virus can survive on paper or plastic.
- Returned items are quarantined for at least four days (96 hours per Allegheny County Library Association service agreement) before staff process them.
- Items with plastic covers that appear visibly dirty will be subject to additional cleaning.
- The building will be cleaned and high touch points sanitized twice daily Monday-Thursday between 2-4 pm and after 8 pm, once daily after hours on Fridays and Saturdays, and an additional disinfectant cleaning will be performed Wednesday mornings.
- All staff are required to wear face coverings over their nose and mouth at all times when serving the public.
- Staff members take their temperature upon entering the building at the start of every shift. Staff who exhibit a temperature of 100.4 or higher, are sick or who are exhibiting flu-like symptoms are not permitted to work.
- Should a staff member test positive for COVID-19 they will be required to self-quarantine.