Library Director Evaluation Policy
Mt. Lebanon Public Library Policy No. 11
Evaluation of Library Director
MT. LEBANON PUBLIC LIBRARY
POLICY NUMBER: 11
TITLE: Evaluation of Library Director
DATE ISSUED: February 21, 2002
REPLACES: Previous policy no. 11, Feb. 14, 1991
PURPOSE: To provide for regular evaluation of the Library Director by the Board of Trustees. The purpose of a performance evaluation is:
• To provide the Director with a clear understanding of the Board’s expectations;
• To ensure the Director is aware of how well the expectations are being met;
• To serve as a formal vehicle of communication between the Board and Director;
• To identify the Board’s concerns, if any, so that appropriate action can be taken; and
• To demonstrate sound management practices and accountability to municipal officials and the community.
STATEMENT OF POLICY:
1. A formal, written performance evaluation of the Director should be performed annually at the end of each fiscal year.
2. The performance evaluation will be based upon the following standards:
2.1 the Director’s job description responsibilities; and
2.2 mutually agreed-upon objectives accomplished within a specific time frame.
3. The performance evaluation is a five-step process:
3.1 The Library Director presents the annual performance report to the Board of Trustees in November of each year.
3.1.1 The Board of Trustees reviews the Library Director’s report with the Director not present.
3.1.2 Prior to this meeting, each trustee will be encouraged to fill out a written evaluation of the Library Director.
3.2 The Board of Trustees formulates a list of future objectives for discussion.
3.3 The Board of Trustees’ President will serve as the representative for the Board and will conduct a performance evaluation with the Library Director privately by the end of the fiscal year. At this meeting, the President and the Director will discuss performance standards, objectives and any updates to the Director’s job description. The President and Director will sign a formal, written document stating that the performance evaluation was conducted.
3.4 Director, President and one other Board member will agree on next year’s objectives and future responsibilities.
3.5 The Board will maintain a written record of the evaluation process.
4. The following questions can be used to measure Director effectiveness:
4.1 Does the Director keep the Board informed about progress of programs and services of the Library?
4.2 Does the Board receive sound, well thought-out recommendations for action from the Director?
4.3 Is budget implementation well managed?
4.4 Is the Library making progress toward long-range goals?
4.5 Is the Director working within the parameters of the Director’s job description?
4.6 Is the Library meeting the community’s needs?
|Library Director evaluation Policy 11_Feb 2002.pdf||56.69 KB|
- Library Home
- Programs & Events
- Research & Reference
- Reader Resources
- eMedia Collection