Conflict of Interest Policy
Mt. Lebanon Public Library Policy No. 29
Conflict of Interest, for Library Board of Trustees
MT. LEBANON PUBLIC LIBRARY
POLICY NUMBER: 29
TITLE: Conflict of Interest, for Library Board of Trustees
DATE ISSUED: May 27, 2004
PURPOSE: To ensure that the financial interests of the members of the Library Board of Trustees (“Trustee”) do not conflict with the public trust.
STATEMENT OF POLICY:
1. Definition: "Conflict" or "Conflict of Interest." Use by a Trustee of the authority of his or her office or any confidential information received through his or her position as a Trustee for the pecuniary benefit of himself or herself, a member of his or her immediate family, or a business with which he or she or member of his or her immediate family is associated. [reference: PA Cons. St. 65, sec. 1102]
2. Trustees shall not engage in conduct that constitutes a conflict of interest. [reference: PA Cons. St. 65, sec. 1103]
3. A Trustee shall not participate, directly or indirectly, in the making of any contract on behalf of the Library for goods or services in which he or she is financially interested either as an employee, partner or principal or has a direct ownership interest of more than 5% in the entity, except for the services for which a Trustee is specifically retained. [reference: Mt. Lebanon Home Rule Charter, sec. 1005] Nor shall a Trustee participate in any decision or recommendation involving the Library where such persons shall have a direct or indirect financial interest. [reference: Mt. Lebanon. Personnel Manual, sec 13.1]
4. Any Trustee aware of a personal conflict of interest regarding a matter coming before the Board shall bring this to the attention of the Board, shall not vote on the matter and shall excuse him/herself from any discussion regarding the matter by leaving the room, and shall not be counted in determining the quorum if that has not already been established for the meeting. These points shall be recorded in the Minutes of such meetings. [reference: American Library Association policy manual]
5. A Trustee shall not hire or vote for the hiring of any person related by blood or marriage as an employee of the library when the compensation of such employee is to be paid from public funds. [reference: Mt. Lebanon Municipal. Code, sec. 155]
6. A Trustee shall file a Statement of Financial Interests with the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania for each year of service.
7. Any conflict of interest brought to the attention of the Board shall be dealt with by the Board in accordance with this policy and applicable law.
|Conflict of Interest 29_May 2004.pdf||68.68 KB|
- Library Home
- Programs & Events
- Research & Reference
- Reader Resources
- eMedia Collection