Get The Card
A library card is free and allows you to borrow materials from over 40 libraries in Allegheny County as well as others in the state of Pennsylvania and beyond.
GETTING A CARD
Visit the adult circulation desk during our normal hours of operation and present proof of current address (ex. a driver's license, a utility bill, lease/mortgage, etc.) along with photo identification (ex. driver's license, passport, etc.) and you'll have your card in minutes. You may begin using it immediately.
ONLINE LIBRARY CARD REGISTRATION
Fill in the electronic form here for your temporary (30-day) library account. You may immediately begin to place requests on library material in the catalog. (Note: Do not use this form if you already have a library card.)
A few reminders:
- 1. You must be a resident of Allegheny County or already have an Access Pennsylvania library card from another library outside the county to receive a library card in Allegheny County.
- 2. Do not apply for a card if you already have one, if you have overdue items, fines or if your card has been lost or stolen.
- 3. Please be prepared to provide a current photo identification with proof of address when you pick up your card.
- 4. A signature is required from a parent/legal guardian when picking up a library card for a minor.
- 5. Visit any Allegheny County public library to pick up your permanent library card when registering online.
- 6. The library card is required to take items out of the library. Without it you don't have the power to get your materials. Always have your library card when you pick up your materials.
- 7. Patrons can also set up online accounts to reserve and renew items online and review library accounts. See this page to sign up for your online account (note: you must have a library card to sign up for an online account).
- 8. Your library card also gives you the additional privileges of free in-library Internet Access and reservation of study and meeting rooms.
- Library Home
- Programs & Events
- Research & Reference
- Reader Resources
- eMedia Collection